Wednesday, December 22, 2004

Suddenly the summer is gone. And my report becomes that of Christmas instead.

During this time I have been coming down the home stretch with the Warriors kicking and screaming all the way because I am inclined to let it grow and evolve forever. But I am forbidden and anyway there is so much else stored up in my mind demanding action.

I completed another companion piece for the Warrior collection, Babushka, a fantastic old lady who endured the siege of then Leningrad as a nurse, thus her claim to participation as a veteran. Of course almost every able-bodied person of that era in Russia served against the invasion. She was delighted to be posing and told my interpreter that she “could almost fall in love with him” (me) and later that I had “golden hands.” Language does not preclude human-to-human communion. I relish those memories of that truly great Russian people as I work. I have also almost completed two etchings for the project, one of which I have been working on during my visits to Mexico. “Almost complete” seem to be two of my favorite (pain in the neck) words as I struggle to let works go.


















Central to my personal life has been the births of two more grandchildren, Jack whom I hear squealing with joy at this moment as he awakens to life, and Lily who is way too far away for my taste, in Utah with her big sister Maya. Of course I miss her parents too. How good the old days were when family was less defined by geography, though some would argue, things are just fine with great distances, thank you very much.Jack lives with his mother Sarah downstairs in a separate apartment so we make up a really happy family these days, in the modern way of things. I am impressed by the way the extended family can be so crucial to the overall welfare of the new generation. Sarah has been incredibly lucky with the enthusiastic involvement of her two siblings here as well as the ongoing support of her sister and family in Utah, not to mention her mother.

There is part of me that feels I should refrain from such personal comment. But as an artist it is the day-to-day nature of life and love within the context of the mystery of every aspect of these things, that so naturally insinuates itself into my work. Anything cerebral is almost accidental. I have accepted that, even welcomed it. I am of course always aware of the risks of sentimentality and the distance that places my work from the art establishment and many others who are uncomfortable with the heart on the sleeve nature of such work. But three recent experiences so clearly defined for me what I love my work to do. These events followed quickly on the heels of each other. Dealing with them was daunting especially when coupled with the big family events. An added section to the website gives more detail of one of these, the crucifixion. A reference to this can found in the update 06-19-03.

Toward the end of the last year I received a phone call from a remarkable woman in Yorba Linda in Southern California asking me about the possibility of doing a life-size crucifixion for their church, St. Martin de Porres. It was as if the long hungered for experience that spurred the production of the half life sized version last year, was in anticipation of this phone call. Since then I have been to Yorba Linda three times. The most recent was to present my thoughts and a power-point (slide) presentation of my work to a part of the congregation and to finalize the details for the creation of the large figure. Although, I dwell in a place remote from traditional religion, I felt so embraced by these Catholic people and was deeply moved by the blessing said over me there. It added to my sense of preparation for the deep and profound experience I am having as I work on it now. I have rarely anticipated a work with more excitement and at the risk of seeming obvious, humility. And now the figure looms large in my studio/living space, removing (perhaps appropriately) our diminished Christmas tree from its usual place of center stage. The clay is shrouded each night in wetted old towels and plastic and unveiled each day as I work. The huge embrace of the powerfully empathetic figure, almost moreso from the back as the front, gives me a hint of what this mysteriously gripping icon does for those of deep devotion.

I flew directly from there to Salt Lake City where I had another infusion of compelling affirmation. My pals and patrons Jim Dabakis and Steve Justesen had organized with a political group called Equality Utah, to make an exhibition of my work part of a huge campaign for justice and equal rights in that State, so beloved to me. They had secured an excellent space in a fine old, recently renovated, building in the heart of downtown and prepared every detail with such finesse, that all we had to do was to hang the show and relish the terrific response of so many extraordinary people. I am prone to hyperbole so forgive me, but…

And the last chapter of this trio of experiences is currently taking place with a small but potent grouping of my work at the LGBT Center here in San Francisco. This was the brain child of two more energetic and devoted men, James Morris and his partner Aaron Vlinck. They arranged the annual Affirmation Conference (gay and lesbian Mormons) and invited me to have this exhibition and speak about the work during the conference. Talk of affirmation. What a terrific group of people, so warm and responsive and kind, making again a kind of homecoming for me.

The last rays of the sun glow on the dense vegetation of my garden making a blaze of the yellow leaves of the apple tree. I think of the momentous election several weeks ago. Never have I felt a more important moment in recent history. How will this vote impact on us all? I am a political animal blessed to have lived on three continents in my life, so my view of the world is very broad. Whatever happens, I hope we can get into the hearts and minds of others and understand their view of things. But the barbarity of those driven by perhaps legitimate causes, when inspired by twisted forms of religion, will haunt us for generations. Our challenge is to remain above the sick fray and never assume our ways are superior to those of others. I think of my grandchildren and wonder what is in store for them. Only exquisite nuanced vision and clear and honest firmness combined, can give them hope.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home