Monday, September 15, 2003

12.45 P.M. Vova is off hopefully picking up a Babushka. I worry that he seems to be slack in his research and I can only protect him so much from the wrath of the powers that be, Jim, Alexei and Igor. I don’t know whether he is just shy but I suspect this whole procedure is tougher than one realizes. People are very suspicious which is understandable given their history.

10.50 p.m.The Babushka was a classic. The powers that be are indeed thrilled and I am very pleased with the start I have on a person who will definitely be a painting. She was so funny and so direct, suddenly pointing at me and declaring something in her strong voice. Vova translated it as she is just short of falling in love with me. She also said she was glad she was not scared. And that is I think the root of getting these older people to pose. Suspicion. They lived through so much and suspicion and fear were critical to survival. There was no way for her to know we were not some kind of villains. But as I watched V interview, I was again profoundly impressed by the way he connected with her, the respectful gaze of his eyes as he politely asked questions. He is a very impressive young man even if as Cadet Alex (subject of second large painting) says, he is a simple man. At twenty-two now, he is simply impressive in his grace and maturity. We had lunch today alone, really the first time alone, and it is amazing to think of our struggling communication compared to now when the years of his English classes have paid off so well. I cherish our friendship and think of him as family. Alexei repeated tonight that it is time for him to go to the states. I would be so thrilled to have him around for a few weeks, to show him a good time. He has become such an excellent assistant by now. He went home to his wife and baby daughter tonight instead of sleeping over in the living room with Ruslan. The latter has surely become fun to be around, his naughty ways from the first trip now being somewhat tempered by the extra few years. But he is still tempted by the bottle. I am so proud of the way Jim and his partners stay loyal to some of these people.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home