Tuesday, September 16, 2003

6.30 A.M. Have been sleeping like a baby and loving the rhythm of the days accordingly. Frustrated to find myself doing the old thing again, waking up prematurely and worrying about things. The rest of the household does not usually rise till about nine. My mind plays through all kinds of things, the work at hand, the personalities of the various players here, generosity and injustice… silly things over which I have so little control. Was in the kitchen a few minutes ago getting some water and watched as a large truck sprayed the already rain wetted streets in cleaning. How I wish there were some way to clean up the courtyards so well.

6.15 P.M.

Worked from a sweet young girl aged nine who was brought by Sasha who is one of the first cadets and who has been part of the team finding models. The child’s brother, Ilya, accompanied her. He was a rugged soul and I mistook him for her father. I fear he might have been insulted though people here seem not be to be insulted easily. The drawing came quickly, which was a complete surprise to me because I feel children are so difficult. She was dressed in black and white with white lace flowers in her hair. I do not recollect a model declining rests totally much less sitting so still, so solemnly and simply watching my eyes. She seemed to project that same old elusive nature of Russians that beguiles me so. And Jim when he arrived said that in effect, I was capturing Russia. I would hope so.

The derdushka (grandfather) whom I will draw today is here and I should go to work. But I need a transition and this writing is it. I just went in there and they are all watching cartoons, the old man enjoying them as much as the woman who accompanied him as a social worker and of course the cadets. J and S are off doing stuff the J’s new apartment. I feel the need to shut my eyes a minute…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home