Monday, September 22, 2003

10.20 A.M. The troops barely stir. Having been out to V’s yesterday and internalized the sheer drudgery his life must be usually with 12 hours to 24, at times 7 days a week at a plastics factory, I am happy to see him having a break. Wonder if they will take him back. He is full of bravado and cheek but who can tell. I must confess I despair at the magnitude of the problems here. The tiny microcosm his little family represents makes Putin’s job impossible… and it is only a matter of degree because I realize that I live at home within five minutes of people with not much more hope or opportunity. But there is a transparency in the west…

4.30 Irena the cook works in the kitchen. I have so loved her daily infusion of a center at the table each day. She and I have such a connection across the cultural divide. I just photographed my last military guy, Sasha. Has done a superior job helping find models. I will do a drawing now. I have real enthusiasm for this one but am also tired of the sheer pace I have kept, yesterday being my only real day off since my arrival.

7.20 Went at the drawing aggressively and feel good about it. I am really getting into the swing of this pastel now that it is over. Feeling melancholy as we ate our second to last meal together with Irena cooking her chicken breast in cream sauce special. I like this woman so much and once again wish a woman were more part of my life. Getting ready to meet Bella with her boy friend and a couple of others. Will meet a couple more tomorrow because there is a feud between some. I love the way they use the word “scandal” to describe some to me petty dispute. I am so weary. I cannot get over my mercurial feelings about this dear Russia. Up one minute down the next. Guess Steve is right, I am just way too sensitive with needs that are disproportionate to reality. That is why I embraced the idealism of the church and why I keep on struggling to make the world I yearn for happen, speaking half seriously of taking little old ladies out to tea in the Cotswolds in England. Fighting off a little infection and don’t feel too sharp.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home